MARIETTA — Shiloh's football team stormed out to a big early lead and cruised to a 39-8 victory over host Wheeler on Friday.

Wheeler (1-2) faced a 27-0 deficit by the second quarter thanks to another quick start from Shiloh, which improved to 3-0 under new head coach Tino Ierulli. On the third play of the game, the Generals set the tone when Arthur Rodgers took the handoff and ran 69 yards down the sideline to give Shiloh an early 7-0 lead.

Rodgers rushed for 125 yards and two touchdowns.

The Generals took advantage of a Wheeler miscue and turned it into another touchdown. Starting at the Wildcats' 37-yard line following a fumble recovery, Dakota Thomas made his presence felt with a 17-yard run and then an 18-yard catch from Vince Goffney, with a penalty advancing the ball to the 3-yard line. Goffney then finished off the drive on the following play with three-yard run to increase the lead to 14-0 late in the first quarter.

It got worse for the Wildcats in the second quarter as Shiloh scored two touchdowns in 14 seconds, giving the Generals a commanding 27-0 lead. Goffney completed a long 67-yard pass to Antonio Meeks, then Jasheen Davis recovered a fumble in the end zone.

Wheeler showed its resiliency, responding with a 12-play, 70-yard drive that was capped off with an amazing 8-yard catch in the back of the end zone by Lavar Lesure-Harris from Dayshawn Anderson on fourth down. Mekhi McKenney’s catch on the two-point conversion cut the lead to 27-8.

The Wildcats carried that momentum into the ensuing kickoff as Evan Mallon recovered a fumble at the Generals' 16. Unfortunately, a penalty, a 9-yard sack, and a missed 45-yard field goal prevented the Wildcats from putting any more pressure on Shiloh.

Despite giving up its first points of the season, Shiloh forced Wheeler into four turnovers and allowed only 189 total yards, backing up consecutive shutouts in the season's first two weeks.

Isiah Mckeever’s 30-yard fumble recovery and Rodgers’ second touchdown — a 10-yard run — closed the scoring for Shiloh in a fourth quarter that was marred by an altercation late in the game that saw two Wildcats get ejected.

Stay Informed