Stewart leads Duluth past Archer

Archer's Ernest Alexander (8) is taken down by Duluth's Michael Stewart (6) during Friday's game.

Archer's Ernest Alexander (8) is taken down by Duluth's Michael Stewart (6) during Friday's game.


Duluth's Myles Campbell (8) dives over the goal for a touchdown during Friday's game against Archer.

— After Duluth had watched a 14-point lead go by the wayside, the Wildcats found some magic behind the arm and legs of senior quarterback Anfornee Stewart to pull out a 28-24 win over Archer in the 2011 season opener.

Trailing 24-21 midway through the fourth quarter, Duluth (1-0) put together a 13-play, 92-yard drive that was capped off by a Stewart-to-Michael Randle 18-yard touchdown pass with 1:22 left in the game. The game-winner capped a big night for Stewart, who was explosive from the start.

Duluth wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as Stewart connected with junior Myles Campbell for a 76-yard touchdown pass on the Wildcats' first play from scrimmage.

Stewart bought some time by scrambling in the pocket and then found a leaping Campbell, who made the catch and then outran the Archer secondary for the score.

Stuart Hench added the extra point and Duluth led 7-0 just 14 seconds into the game.

But Archer (0-1) answered right back and scored on a quick three-play drive as junior Ernest Alexander scampered in from 21 yards out with 10:55 left in the opening quarter.

Zach Wachholz added the point-after and the Tigers had tied it at 7-7.

Stewart and Campbell hooked up again later in the quarter, this time from 43 yards out on a 3rd-and-27.


Archer 7 0 7 10 - 24

Duluth 7 7 7 7 - 28


Duluth: Myles Campbell 76 pass from Anfornee Stewart (Stuart Hench kick) 11:46

Archer: Ernest Alexander 21 run (Zach Wachholz kick) 10:55




Duluth: Campbell 70 pass from Stewart (Hench kick) 5:35

Archer: Jermaine Morris 46 run (Wachholz kick) 3:29


Archer: Wachholz 47 FG, 9:58

Archer: Holley 2 run (Wachholz kick) 7:13

Duluth: Stewart 18 pass to Michael Randle (Wachholz kick) 1:22

Campbell made the catch across the middle and had the first down, but somehow found his way down the left sideline to give the Wildcats a 14-7 advantage.

Duluth struck first in the second half as Stewart again found Campbell behind the Archer secondary for a 70-yard TD pass with 5:35 left in the third quarter to give the Wildcats a two-touchdown lead.

After a 15-minute delay when Archer's Randall Smith was injured, the Tigers responded as senior Jermaine Morris broke loose up the middle for a 46-yard TD run to cut the Duluth lead to 21-14.

Archer drove inside the Duluth 20 early in the fourth quarter and came away with a 47-yard Wachholz field goal to cut the Wildcats' lead to 21-17.

The Tigers then took their first lead of the night, pulling ahead 24-21 on a 2-yard run by senior quarterback Jarvis Holley.

Holley had a 33-yard sprint down to the Duluth 2 to set up the go-ahead score with 7:13 remaining in the game.

For Duluth, Stewart finished the game 19-for-29 and 351 yards along with his four TD tosses. Campbell finished the game with eight catches for 231 yards and three TDs.Archer was led by Alexander's 85 rushing yards.